If you’re like me you have a hard time remembering to get your water in. For me I have to make sure I get enough in for my kidneys. There are other reasons to though. You should be drinking enough fluid to keep you hydrate, help your kidneys. Upping your water intake can also help you lose weight. I have chronic kidney stones. I’ve already had them surgically removed twice and I’d rather not go through that again. So I asked my nephrologist what I could do. He had one word for me. WATER. We found looking at my normal day I wasn’t drinking nearly as much as I should. I started thinking about the best tips to up water intake. This post is sponsored by Hidrate. All opinions are my own.
- Flavor it. Most people will get tired of drinking the plain water that has no flavor to it. Of course you can grab some of the flavor packets or even better is to just flavor it naturally. Mom likes to mix lemon and mint to hers.
- Keep track of your water intake. This was a key for me. I found that I would think I was drinking but not really. So I found the Hidrate Spark water bottle perfect for me. I was sent one to test out and I do love it. It comes in several different colors but what it does is the best. There is a sensor in it that measures how much water you take in during the day. When using the Hidrate app, you can set goals or it can set them for you by your weight and activity level. I know from talking with the doctors that my goals needed to be more than they thought. So I upped them. The first day wasn’t so great. I hated not having it on Saturday but yesterday was a good day!
If you haven’t used your bottle within a certain time frame, it will glow to catch your attention.
The other thing to note is even when going to your favorite coffee place, most of them are more than happy to fill up your cup for you, especially if you start glowing while at the table.
- Start the day with water instead of coffee. I know that’s blasphemy in some groups but really if you start the day with water you’re starting the day to a good start. If you have to have the coffee/tea, make sure you have a tall glass of water immediately after your coffee.
- Skip the sodas. You can get carbonated water that is flavored and drinking one of those is much better than all the soda. I actually cut 90% of the soda out of my diet in the past few months. I do drink one occasionally (read when I need a little extra caffeine).
- Ice it or heat it. For some people room temperature water just doesn’t work. Try adding extra ice or heat it up with a touch of lemon and add extra water to your day.
Do you have any tips to up water intake?