How do you get in the Christmas spirit? What activities can you do with your kids? Christmas is a time for traditions and fun. Make an effort to spend time together. Remember what you did during Christmas as a child. What activities did you value the most? Plan to book a few days to celebrate with your family. See my list for great ways to get started with these family Christmas Activities.
Family Christmas Activities: Lots to Do
- Bake Santa cookies- Bake cookies with your children they can leave out for Santa. It’s a fun way to spend time together. Let your children stir the batter and roll the dough into balls. Get messy and lick the spoons!
- Wish lists- Ask your children what they would like for Christmas. Write their ideas down on a list. Cutting pictures from a catalogue works great with small children. Help them mail their lists to Santa!
- Decorate- Make your kids help decorate your house for Christmas. It doesn’t have to look perfect. Let them clump tinsel on the tree and hang silly ornaments. Create memories you’ll always treasure!
- Cards- Let your children help sign the Christmas cards. It’s good practice for writing their name. If they are too small to write you can give them a stamp. Let them leave their special mark!
- Shopping- Include your children in the shopping experience. Have them think of ideas for your family. Help them pick something small that can be just from them. Let them wrap it and pick out the ribbon!
- Movies-Watch Christmas movies with your children each year. Rent the classics and their favorite shows. Search your television listings in advance for December. Make popcorn and serve hot chocolate!
- Music- There is a variety of Christmas music available. Buy CD’s your whole family will like. Sing carols with your children and teach them songs from your youth. Play the radio at home to feel festive!
- Crafts- There is a ton of great crafts you can do with your children. Search for ideas online at AC. String noodles and popcorn you can hang on the tree. Make snowflakes or a gingerbread house!
- Donate- Go through all your clothing and toys as a family. Let your children find things to donate. Christmas is a time for giving and sharing. Teach your children how to help those less fortunate!
- Lights- Go for a walk to see Christmas lights. Try your street after dark each night. Visit the park downtown to see the trees glowing bright. Take a tour of your city this Christmas!
Family Christmas Activities For Small Children
Parents with small children lead busy lives and Christmas can feel overwhelming. It’s important to slow down and do the things you enjoy. Don’t rush through the holidays this year. Play music, watch movies and make crafts with your kids. Sing carols and decorate your tree. Don’t put off having fun with your family this year. Stop and look at those holiday lights. Merry Christmas!