Bathrooms deserve a standing ovation. Whether it’s your place for meditation or your closet of despair, bathrooms get lots of use. Of course, the purpose it serves doesn’t require a Persian rug, but its design should flirt with the taste of kings. We have some cheap ways to decorate bathrooms.
Cheap Ways to Decorate Bathrooms: Add Detail that Visually Attracts
If you’re living on a shoestring budget and want to think of creative ways to make your bathroom the most fabulous room in your home, follow these simple tips & techniques from The Home Depot and the Creative Homemaking Center to make your bathroom a symbol of royalty for less than $100.
- Add some new towels. Experts say avoid buying a whole new set. Just buy a set of hand towels or washcloths in a new color that will complement your existing color scheme.
- Cover your trash cans, tissue boxes and as many other items you can.
- If there’s fabric in the room, use one of the more subtle colors of it and paint your walls. You won’t need much paint. On the downside, you will probably have to paint the ceiling, which isn’t always fun.
- You can bring a lot of character into the room by swapping out the light fixture with something interesting. Keep an eye out at garage sales, thrift stores or salvage lots. In such a small room, an interesting light fixture will make a big statement.
- Wallpaper in a bathroom is beautiful. Just be aware that the moisture may cause the paper to peel or bubble. Get it on securely, and make sure the room is well ventilated.
- You can make a huge impact in the room by getting rid of dark wood and old hardware on cupboards. There are many painting techniques, but shiny white always looks great. Also, don’t forget to replace the knobs.
- Live plants thrive in a bathroom that has light. They are always a good decorating choice.
- Use scented candles and potpourri to make your bathroom smell pleasant. Dried flowers work well also.
- Use practical items as accessories to minimize space and money. Towels can be displayed in large baskets, and colorful bottles of shampoos, lotions and bubble bath add elegant beauty when grouped together
- Frame your mirror. Make a plain mirror more decorative by creating a custom frame. Cut molding to fit around the mirror and paint with neutral colors or a brushed gold or silver. The frame can be attached to the mirror with liquid glue.
Give your bathroom the final touch by painting it a color that emotionally speaks to you. If sage warms your heart or if yellow makes you happy, experts say find the paint or wallpaper that relaxes, soothes and will make your most used room one snazzy potty.