When Leia came home with us in December, we weren’t ready for her at all. She was kind of a dream of mine but I never thought we’d be heading to a remote little town in North Carolina and coming home with a snuggle bug. The good news is there was a small store right there to get some quick items and then I grabbed a ton of stuff from Chewy.com to get us on the right path. Whether you’re planning for a new addition or it’s sprung on you, here are 5 Must Have Products for a New Puppy or Kitty!
- Crate: Whether you need a crate for your new addition to sleep in or just for traveling, it’s best to get one now. Think ahead some to how big your pet is going to get. I know we knew how big Leia would get and got one that would fit her maximum size. While it seems funny to have this tiny little animal in a huge crate, you don’t want to have to keep buying new crates. The best thing is you can get crates of all different kinds now. Carrier types are great if your pet is going to be able to roam free when you’re not home or at night. The metal crates are great for keeping pets safe when you’re gone and at night. There are even crates now that are built to look like end tables. I happen to love this one:
- A Bed: This is key for comfort. If you wouldn’t sleep on the hard floor, please don’t expect your pet to sleep there either. You can get them all different sizes and shapes. There are special ones for cats that have hoods to them. We’ve found that our cats like these as they can hide from Leia.
- Nature’s Miracle Oxy Pet Stain and Odor Remover: New pets and old pets mean that accidents are going to happen. It doesn’t matter how old your pet is. Older pets can get sick and not make it out in time while new pets are still learning. This month I got a fresh bottle from Chewy for being an influencer. I live by the Nature’s Miracle Oxy Pet Stain and Odor Remover. I pride myself in knowing our house doesn’t smell like a house that has animals running everywhere.
- Toys: Whether you’re talking cat or dog, you need to provide some entertainment for your pet. It may take awhile to find the toy that is perfect for your pet. I’d suggest checking out the clearance toys at Chewy to grab a few different ones for less money. When we did the fundraiser for my mom’s birthday, we were able to grab a few toys as low as $1 from Chewy and in total gave Tender Mercies 10 toys for the puppies they had at the moment. Leia loves toys that have ropes attached but not plain ropes! She has this one and its one of her favorites
- Collar. Seems silly to think but yes you will need a collar for your pet. It is best to be able to keep tags on your pet and leash them for walks. You can get them in so may different sizes and designs. Chewy even has some with sport teams on them! Leia has a few different ones including one that was handmade for us from Remi and Lola. I suggest having more than one as you never know when something may happen. Leia rolled in deer poop and the smell just would not come out.