If you’re in the DC area or coming to the DC area you may be looking for some great places to visit. Since I’ve lived in the area my whole life I thought it would be a great idea to give you 10 Weekend Getaways near DC.
- Luray Caverns: These amazing caverns require a ticket to visit the caverns but you will not be disappointed. You can do a guided tour that leads you through the caverns with cathedral-sized rooms with ceilings that are 10-stories high. There are natural wonders all around you including the organ.
- Harpers Ferry: Harpers Ferry is a part of the National Historical Park Service. This is an amazing little town filled with history. If you love to hike, this is a perfect place to have fun. There are quaint little shops to visit and get your fill of so many different parts of life. The residents are happy to help. I love the historic trade workshops where you can see the days of old. The scenes are magnificent too with views of the bridges, waterfalls and so much more.
- Solomons Island: This is close to being a home town for us. We’re just minutes away and there is always something great going on in this little neck of the woods. Of course you can get some delicious seafood. There is the Calvert Marine Museum which often has special events going on and the Dragon Boats come once a year. You can’t go wrong walking the pier either.
- Gettysburg: Site to historic Civil War Battle Gettysburg is a great way to get your kids involved in history. There is nothing like hiking a battleground, seeing where the battle was fought and learning while doing it. There are of course some great hotels in the area that offer ways to escape as well. We went to the area often growing up as my dad is a Civil War fan. It was always fun for us to learn and be involved.
- Annapolis: Again another town that is close to us Annapolis is the capital of Maryland and is such a beautiful town with architecture that can take your breath away. If you go downtown, you could lost for hours checking out the sights. If you time your visit right you can also get involved with the Navy games or see the Blue Angels as they do fly overs for graduation (Happening this week!) Make sure you visit Galway Bay. It is my all time favorite restaurant in downtown with a true old Irish pub feel.
- B and O Museum: There is always a ton of activities going on at the B and O Museum and best of all you can take a train ride! I know you can check the calendar of events and find all the different fun things going on including Fun under the Big Top coming June 25-29th. With this event, kids can walk the high beam, participate in face painting and so much more. The museum has a fun way to educate our youth on how trains were involved in every day life and how they still help us.
- Williamsburg: There is nothing like stepping back in time in Williamsburg. You can easily find great hotels including a Great Wolf Lodge. This is a great option as you can spend a time at the indoor park or go visit sites like Colonial Williamsburg or Busch Gardens. There is shopping of all kinds. We grew up going to the Williamsburg Pottery. It has changed and evolved since we were there as kids but it still has shops and shops of discounted items to explore. You can hit the candle factory too and watch as they make candles right in front of you.
- National Harbor: If you want to have maximum fun for the weekend, National Harbor is a great place to go. You have the Gaylord Hotel to stay with its shops and events. Then there is the shopping at the Harbor itself. Next door is the MGM if you want to gamble a little or if shopping is more your thing you can visit Tanger Outlets and their shopping discounts. Hint! There is a Disney Outlet here and it has never disappointed us! While visiting, make sure you take a ride on the Capital Wheel!
- Virginia Beach, Va: Of course we couldn’t finish our list without some amazing beaches. Virginia Beach is just a day trip away. It has some amazing free things to do besides the beaches as well. These include a summer concert series and two lighthouses to explore. I think the one thing we are most excited to check out is the aviation museum. It has some beautiful historic pieces including military planes.
- Roanoke, Va: Roanoke is a beautiful city that boasts some amazing art features. The city believes art is “a tool to create livable cities, create a heightened sense of place and community identity, enliven the visual quality of public space, and enrich the spirit and pride of its citizens.” This is evident by the many art pieces throughout the city and especially the star that you can find on the mountain.
Are there any places you would add to our list of weekend getaways near DC?